Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Don't Be Afraid To Ask For Help.


This is another lesson that I am yet to really learn. It's not in my nature to ask help from other people - I prefer to deal with situations on my own and handle problems by myself. That's because I'm not comfortable bothering others, and also because I value my privacy too much.

But while being self-sufficient is a good thing in general, my tendency to refuse to ask help sometimes makes things harder for me. There are issues that are too overwhelming to face by myself, and burdens that are too heavy to carry alone.

I'm actually facing such a problem right now. And because no solution seemed enough or fitting anymore, and I'm actually at a real loss as to what I should do, I decided to finally open up to someone and ask for advice. I talked to my sister.

We've such a different personality. She's younger, but she's bolder. She's "cool" about many things, as she likes to put it, whereas I'm too cautious when dealing with stuff, especially stuff that involve people.

It was a joy just talking to her, because not only was I reaffirmed but also because she made me look at my situation from a different perspective - one that I would not probably consider if I was not able to talk to her.

I felt better just talking, sharing with her the issue that's been eating at me for a few days now. And her practical advice was a huge help. We don't totally agree as to how I should handle some aspects of the problem, but she respects the way I want to go with it and I also respect her opinion.

This is actually the first time I ask her for advice on something like this, and this has made me realize how much I'm missing by refusing to ask for the help of the people around me - especially those who are really close to me like my sis.

And now, I feel like this would be the start of something better. Cheers for sisters!

No comments: