Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Communication Makes All Things Better.


Today has been a tiring day, though not physically. I had an emotional conversation with a friend who I was having an issue with for quite a time now.

I'm not really the type of person to open up easily to people. I'd rather listen than talk. I'm not very comfortable talking about my emotions. Maybe because it makes me feel vulnerable. Or maybe because I see it as a weakness. Or, as my housemate once said, maybe because I'm just too proud.

I'd been so used to bottling up my feelings and thoughts to the point when I could not contain them any longer. And in some instances, when I reach the point of not being able to contain them anymore, everything just explodes. Not healthy, I know.

Well, I am slowly learning to open up. I am slowly learning to talk about the things I feel. I am slowly learning to give concrete words to my emotions and to describe them clearly for others to understand. It's a process that I have a hard time learning - feels like I first have to undo all the years of behaviors that led to this habit or tendency, and then start all over.

And if there's one thing I'm learning about all these, it's the fact that talking is good. It feels good to unburden by sharing feelings, by being true to what I feel, and by being courageous enough to share my emotions to someone, no matter how uncomfortable it is at first.

Communication makes all things better, and I'm thankful to all the people who are helping me learn to communicate more efficiently.

No comments: