Wednesday, February 8, 2012

I Am Lucky.


I've always believed in optimism, in looking at things from a positive perspective, and in believing that the world is a beautiful place. Many times, I have proven the benefit of this kind of thinking, and I believe I am a happier person today because of this mindset. 

It's not always like this, however. Despite my resolve to see the good in everything, there are still instances when I get blinded by the routine of everyday life. The predictability of my daily schedule sometimes makes everything dull, and there are times when I feel like my life is too ordinary - I end up complaining about the absence of excitement, of motivation, of passion in my life.

Then this morning aboard the jeepney on my way to work, while thinking about the tasks that lay ahead, about things that I consider important, I saw a couple of dirty homeless folks sleeping beside a building. They had no slippers, no pillows or blankets to keep them comfortable. All they had were plastic bags full of random stuff, maybe clothes, that barely covered their face and body from view.

Looking at those two men, or women I'm not sure, I remembered the things I stress about these days and suddenly realized how mundane my worries are. While I'm worrying about the absence of excitement in my life, these people are worrying every single day about the absence of a place where they can stay to spend the night. That picture showed me how lucky I am and how blessed my life is.

So from now on, every time I feel the need to complain about my life, I shall remember those homeless folks, sleeping beside a building, oblivious to individuals like me around them.

No comments: