Thursday, February 23, 2012

We Have The Power To Inspire.


We had a meeting at work this morning, raffling off the spot bonus and then discussing the upcoming team activity tomorrow.

Added to these agenda, the highlight was a discussion about being happy at work, about appreciating all that we enjoy in our job, and about being grateful for what we have. According to our boss (who is an awesome boss, by the way), the team already exhibits performance and most of us already show perseverance, but we need to improve on positive attitude. I have to agree with her - this is something we actually need to work on. In fact, we have a two-week activity now that involves writing down three things that we're grateful for or things that make us happy at work everyday. Our boss gave us cute notebooks to write on and use as a sort of journal.

During the discussion this morning, what struck me most was the revelation about how my workmates and my bosses see me. When we were talking about perseverance, some of my officemates were pointing and referring to me. I remember, some of them would usually tease me about being a workaholic. My boss also said during the meeting that I am a perfect example of one who has positive attitude at work, citing the time when I took over as OIC during the leave of my supervisor and how I was all haggard but still all smiles despite the pressure of the work. I remember one time when I told a friend that I think many people in the office see me as someone so serious, and then she said that my officemates actually see me as a person who is always happy. It felt good to know that!

I've always been an advocate of optimism, of focusing on the bright side of life, of being grateful for all the blessings. I don't preach these to people, though, but I didn't realize that they actually show. I didn't realize that I actually reflect the things that I believe in. I mean, I know for the most part they are reflected in me, but for me to be strongly associated with them - now that says something. And just for now, let me just say that I am proud of myself. :)

Together with all these, I also realize the great importance of living truthfully in accordance with the things that we deeply believe in...

That we don't actually have to impose our values on the people around us. We don't have to talk about our ideals all the time. We don't have to actually broadcast our principles for the whole world to hear. We just have to live them. We just have to embody them. We just have to let our life be the best example of our principles.

And then without our knowing, the world will take notice, and be inspired.

No comments: