Monday, March 12, 2012

A Lesson About Being Neutral.


So I have this friend (A) who has an issue with someone (B), who I found out later on to also have an issue with her - the feeling's mutual, except they don't know that they feel the same towards each other. 

I decided to stay neutral and not intervene. Well, in other instances, I guess I would have intervened. After all, a friend is involved. It would be easy to tell my friend "Hey, this person you have an issue with also has an issue with you." 

But, I did not do that... Because the person who told me about it asked me not to tell. She's someone I care about (let's call her C), and I promised her I won't say a thing. It would have ended at that, except C is a friend of B, and C also has an issue with A because of some things she found out.

With A and C being both important to me, I just decided to step out of the situation - to simply listen to whatever they (including B) have to say about each other without doing anything and without letting them know about all the things I know.

It would have worked out perfectly well... Except sometimes, issues come up and things get complicated and I feel confused about stuff. I'd ask myself whether I'm doing the right thing staying neutral.

Every now and then, I'd have this strong desire to tell my friend A about the whole thing, but I'd always end up not doing it because of my promise to C. 

At other times, whenever things come up and whenever I hear stuff about the issue, I'd get this same strong desire to share my dilemma with C. But then again, I'd end up not doing it because I know she's a friend of B and I know how she feels about A. 

But it's hard! I get so confused every time an issue crops up and I have to pretend like I don't know a thing just so I could protect A and keep my promise to C.

And, guilt is already starting to eat at me! Whenever issues come up, I'd feel guilty for not telling A, and at the same time I'd feel guilty for not telling C. One moment I'd feel like I'm betraying one of them, and then the next moment I'd feel like I'm betraying the other person. Feels like I'm betraying both of them by staying neutral!

Argh!

Sometimes, I just want to tell all of them "Hey, will you just leave each other alone and cut the pretense of being nice? If you have a problem with each other, then go away from each other and don't get involved with each other's life!"

*sigh*

No comments: