Friday, March 15, 2013

Writing Once More

I've been in the Web Copywriting industry since 2006. And way before that, I'd always wanted to be a literary writer. Back in college, I used to write stories, poems, journal entries, personal essays, and other scribblings. And when the opportunity came to enter the writing world after graduation, I grabbed it.

That was 2006, seven years ago. In my work, I'd been exposed to SEO writing, keyword-optimized writing, blog writing, and other forms of web writing. I never thought I'd be writing about the things I've been writing the past years, but I did. And I learned new things, ventured into new territories, discovered some stuff. I went into freelance writing, on and off during the few years, and I liked the exposure that it offered. I liked the way it brought me to different fields. And while I was working and earning, I also learned.

During this time, though, I sort of put off my first dream - literary writing. I sort of lost the muse, lost the sensibility for the poetic and the dramatic and the ideal. And every time I would attempt to get into literary writing again, I would feel some sort of a block and continuing was really difficult. I've always planned to take a Creative Writing class, but I could not do it. The closest I was able to do was visit the school I was planning to enroll in and ask for an enrollment form and a list of requirements. But it was only up to that - I never did accomplish the requirements and never did enroll. And then I realized, it would be impossible to do things like that when I could not even write. I had no time for writing. And I had this writing book that I started reading many times, but during all those times I could not finish even the first chapter. Well, it's so easy to say that my busy schedule caught up on me, that work ate most of my time, and all that.

And then later on, work also ate much of my free time for freelance writing, and I gave up even that. And then later on, when I was given an editing and a leadership position at work, writing totally disappeared. Not that I did not like those positions - I loved them. They gave me new knowledge, new experiences, and I am particularly grateful for having the chance to handle a big group of people (15 teammates). I just realized one day that I'm not writing anymore - not for work, not for freelance, and not even for my dream. I could not maintain a blog anymore. I could not even write anything journal-ish (and I was a big journal writer way back).

And now, now that work is unstable and I get lots of free time (thanks, work! LOL), I decided to go back to writing. I started on the book that I'm reading (The Lie That Tells a Truth), and I am taking on freelance writing tasks again. I have two clients right now, both past clients, and I'm having a great time. I also have room for more clients, so hire me! :)

There are setbacks, yes, but everything is well all in all. And yes, I resurrected my blogs, did some rearrangements, and now I'm maintaining three of them - this blog and two other blogs I've long wanted to set up: a travel blog and an environment-focused blog, both of which I am highly passionate about.

Here's the link. Please visit them. :)
> Travel Blog --- http://in-the-footsteps-of-the-sun.blogspot.com/
> Environmental Blog --- http://green-and-orange.blogspot.com/

I'm also thinking about setting up a writing blog where I'll post all the literary pieces that I've written, but I'm not yet sure whether I'm ready to publish them for everyone to see. LOL. Let's see.

No comments: