Tuesday, February 26, 2013

3 of 3 Series: 14 Lessons on Love, Loving, and Relationship

Here is the last post in the series that I started HERE.

-----



11. That love isn’t exclusive. Romantic love needs other kinds of love for it to grow. > I have always believed in keeping a separate, additional circle of people outside of our relationship circle. We need friends, family, and other individuals in our life. As for me, who has only a few people in my life and who strongly value my own time and space, I always try to spend time alone - to recharge and regenerate, and to do all the things that I can only really do when I am on my own. Given our nature to crave attachment, it can become a challenge and it may require discipline. I have found out, though, that the long-term benefits and satisfactions are worth it. Our time with others and with ourselves will give our relationships additional nourishment.

12. That we can let go and still love. That love sometimes means letting go. > If not love for the other person, at least love for ourselves. There are things that are bigger than relationships, and these things can also entail love - maybe a different kind of love, but love still. In my life, there are people that I have let go because I loved them enough to give them the chance to be independent and to enjoy the joys of maturity. There are people that I have let go because I loved myself enough to save me from the negative influences of the said people. And there are people that I have let go because I loved them enough to know that distance will be better over togetherness.
13. That true love is imperfect, but it can accept imperfections. > True love knows that none of us is imperfect. That one day soon, one of you will hurt the other (intentionally or not), that one of you will put his own interest over the interest of his partner (selfishness is innate, after all, and only discipline and strong will can combat it), that one of you will betray the other... At a certain point, both of you will have done a number of wrongs against each other. But true love will overlook the fault, or recognize it but forgive it. Because true love knows no matter how hard we try to be good, we fail. But, we continue trying.
14. That true love is still bound by reason, by the rules of right and wrong. And true love cannot bloom when it is wrong. > Now I strongly believe in this. In my situation right now, I'd say right and wrong aren't clear cut by definition. There are certain things that we believe to be right, regardless of their morality or immorality, and regardless of the beliefs of the people around us. There are issues of right and wrong that only our heart can discern. If something is wrong but which our heart believes to be right, who shall tell us off? In the end, it is us who deals with our conscience. I'd say the most important thing here is that we do not betray ourselves and our values.
-----

February is almost at an end, but true love is forever. True love is forever. :)

No comments: